Here are some ways for members of the Transfer Partnership to systematically and intentionally work on the transfer of learning before the training occurs, during the training and after the training is over.
Write down any of these strategies that you would like to remember for future use in the appropriate boxes on page 4 of the Transfer of Learning 📝handout.
- Complete a detailed needs assessment with the Director to ensure alignment of the training content with the organization’s goals and staff Professional Development (PD) needs.
- Develop SMART training and workplace outcomes to inform training plan and design.
- Create a customized Implementation Plan form (using input from the Director) for participants to complete.
- Explore possible training options with Director based on both your individual professional goals and your program’s overall goals.
- Complete all pre-training activities (needs assessment, content-based assignments, etc.).
- Involve staff in program-wide goal setting and long-term planning.
- Inform staff of the importance of the implementation of new skills and knowledge learned in training and explain that you will support each person in their implementation efforts.
- Provide time for staff to complete pre-training activities if applicable. This could be a reading assignment, a brief survey or even taking photos for pre training data collection.
- Clearly spell out what trainees will gain from the investment of time and energy in their implementation efforts.
- Include practice of new skills in realistic work-related tasks.
- Provide opportunities to note new ideas and make specific plans for implementation of new knowledge and skills.
- Arrive at the training on time, if not early, and in a “ready to learn” mindset.
- Participate actively in all training activities and learning experiences.
- Make authentic connections with fellow trainees.
- Provide classroom coverage for staff to attend during work hours.
- Attend the training; model active participation and professional behavior.
- Monitor training attendance.
- Use technology to provide follow-up support during implementation.
- Share evaluation results with director.
- Offer ideas for future trainings based on implementation results.
- Follow through on implementation plan.
- Seek help with implementation from Director/Trainer.
- Maintain contact with other trainees.
- Review and monitor implementation plans.
- Notice and acknowledge staff efforts to change behavior.
- Provide job aid support to staff for implementation.