Understanding what the potential barriers are to achieving successful transfer of learning can help you as you select appropriate strategies to use when planning, implementing, and following up with training participants after training sessions.
Check your Knowledge
Consider each statement. Which is the best answer to fill-in-the-blank for each statement describing the possible barriers to the ‘transfer of learning’:
1. Lack of support from ______________.
The correct answer is director.
2. ________________ materials and other resources.
The correct answer is Limited.
3. Pressure from peers to _________ change.
The correct answer is resist.
4. No one to go to for ___________________.
The correct answer is clarifications.
5. ______________ resistance to change
The correct answer is Trainee’s.
6. ________________ limitations.
The correct answer is Time.
7. A non-supportive organizational __________.
The correct answer is culture.
8. Lack of post-training support from the _____________.
The correct answer is trainer.
Appropriate advance planning along with use of the needs assessment, tapping into the Transfer Partnership, and using a variety of effective transfer of learning strategies will reduce the impact of these barriers. This way, you can get everyone on the same page and greatly increase the likelihood of the successful transfer of learning.