Advocacy Groups and Down Syndrome/Genetic Condition Information Acts Copy
- Orgs have done mailings for DS awareness month outlining the acts and how to refer families.
- Also co-funded and attended regional ACOG or ACMG meetings to have booths to educate professionals about new laws
- Washington state paid for Somalian and Korean translations, sent out newsletters and social media, DPH created a web page bought books to disseminate in partnership with Lettercase, and tracked data; state creates joint webinars with advocacy orgs
Implementing the new Bill after it was passed in MA
- The Commissioner of the MA department of Public Health mailed a memo to 1,600 OB/Gyns, geneticists, maternal, and fetal medicine specialists, genetic counselors, and neo-natal and peri-natal practitioners to inform them about the new law.
- The memo directs individuals who deliver a diagnosis of Down syndrome to expectant couples of a new DPH webpage. https://www.mass.gov/understanding-a-down-syndrome-diagnosis
- The prenatal booklet “Understanding a Down syndrome Diagnosis” is made available free of charge through the Health Promotion Clearinghouse.